Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cuban Paleo Picadillo







Being of Cuban/Mexican descent I was raised on wonderful spices and flavors of both cultures and I tend to use them in just about everything. Picadillo or "Cuban Hash" is a staple and it's easy to make. The best part is fits in to my Primal/Paleo plan AND it's just plain delicious.





It's hard to write out the recipe as I'm a pinch of this, pinch of that kind of cook when it comes to latin food and that is how it was taught to me but I will do my best:


Ingredients:

3 lbs Grass fed ground beef

1 tbsp olive oil

1 chopped yellow onion
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 chopped yellow pepper
1 chopped green bell pepper
4-5 trader joes frozen garlic cubes (or) 5 real cloves
4-5 trader joes frozen cilantro cubes or 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 cups spanish olives sliced
3 tbsp capers
1 14oz can tomato sauce 
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar or whatever wine or vinegar you have will do.
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne (more or less)
1 tsp chili powder (more or less)
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 bayleaf
salt and pepper to taste


-Saute the onion, peppers, garlic, cilantro in the oil
-add the beef and brown
-drain the fat
-lower the heat and add the rest of the ingredients
-stir well cover and simmer for about 10 minutes


Serves: Many


Enjoy!


I like to serve over cauliflower rice.





No comments:

Post a Comment