Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Patience

“Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.”


I love this quote and it really resonates with me and my recovery these days. I am now seven weeks post op and I have to tell you, I feel great. The first 3 weeks I was getting better each day but I wasn't even close to being back to my old self. On the outside I was pretty much the same, just moving a bit slower and happy to be moving better each day.
Working out post surgery has been something that going in I told myself was not going to happen for some time. I made the decision to have the surgery and I damn well better be able to deal with recovering smart. I've seen clients and colleagues alike try to get back to where they were much too quickly only to be sidelined longer because they lacked the patience to heal properly.


Don't get me wrong, this is far from easy. I am not one to sit around and owning a gym, training clients, teaching classes is torture for me. What I have done is to treat my recovery process as a part of my training,  just like I always do when I need to recover for a day or two from a brutal workout like when I was following KB Muscle or training for RKC level 2. I never skimped on recovery days during those training periods because I knew I would pay AND not build up my strength or endurance, which is exactly what I was training for. This is critical and so difficult for many people to grasp, myself included. I  just knew I had no choice.


After my doc gave me the green light I picked up a bell in week 6 (last week), a very light bell for me and just greased the groove, Turkish getups, windmills, armbars no more that 4 reps (2 each side) then I did an assisted pullup, a couple of pistols each side, 10 swings with a 12k 10 deadlifts with a 12k and that was it! Was it enough? Enough for what? What am I training for? I have to say that I was just so happy, really just smiling through the whole workout saying, "yes" after each getup etc., it was so worth the wait to know I owned these movements still!


My goal is to get my endurance and strength back to level 2 status and it could take more time then I would like but I have a game plan, a gym and I know what not to eat (or drink) Discipline, hard work and patience are going to get me there. "Keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience".

Sorry for the delay in posting and thanks to Carole, who has been following my blog for asking how my recovery has been!

No comments:

Post a Comment