Monday, December 5, 2011

Easy Butternut Squash Soup


My post-op appetite has been both minimal and unusual. The first few days I was so uncomfortable and bloated from surgery that all I wanted was saltines, jello and water! At about day 4 I turned a corner  and started craving several soups that I had prepared and frozen before surgery.


Here is my favorite and easiest to make:


2 bags Trader Joe's Pre-cubed Butternut Squash
4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
 1/2 Cup of 1/2 and 1/2 or Heavy Cream
1 tbsp. Butter
Salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon to taste


In a stockpot combine 2 bags of Trader Joe's pre-cubed Butternut Squash with enough chicken or vegetable stock to completely cover the squash. I used 3 cups chicken stock 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes or until your squash is tender. With a slotted spoon remove the squash and place in a blender (I have a vitamix, best purchase ever). Start blending on low while adding in a little of the broth at a time. Add in remaining ingredients and enjoy!


You can add in some leftover turkey or chicken for a heartier soup.


*Optional (for topping) Trader Joe's Rosemary, Pecan and Cranberries. I love this because it makes the soup taste like Thanksgiving, just a tablespoon though!

No comments:

Post a Comment