Thursday, March 24, 2011

Active Recovery Day??

Today is a light or an active recovery day for me and my personal choice of movement happens to be yoga, heated if possible or a long set (30-45 min) of Turkish Get ups using a 12K (light for me)or no weight at all. I highly encourage (some would say bully) my clients to do the same.

It is the Yin and Yang of my wellness plan and Baby Boomers especially need to incorporate balance and flexibility component into their workout regimen. Don't like Yoga? try different styles, their are many.

Tai Chi is also a great choice as are any other non contact martial arts. Pilates is not my thing but I have found that many who do not care for yoga happen to like pilates and vice versa.

My point is that I don't want to see you in my studio every day taking class and some may think this is crazy but my goal is to provide an intense training session each and every time which should be balanced with active recovery the following day. I know that my clients know where I am and what I provide, If they are here everyday than I am not doing my job, period.

I am NOT a yoga instructor (a whole different post) and I would rather leave that to the experts whom I admire and respect. It is out of my scope of practice as much as it is for a yoga instructor or a trainer (without a kettlebell certification) to start you messing around with heavy weights or kettlebells.

So Train smart, be well and DON'T EAT CRAP!

(ps...that is NOT a 12k in the pic, obviously a non-recovery day)

Yin Yang defined:

Two forces in the universe according to a Chinese theory yin is the passive, negative force and yang the active, positive force. According to this theory wise people will detect these forces in the seasons, in their food, and so on, and will regulate their lives accordingly.NDictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition


No comments:

Post a Comment